02 December, 2010

Missed Review: Taken by Desire by Lavinia Kent

Don't buy this e-book.

That's the short version. I'd like to apologize to Lavinia Kent, because my advice to avoid this title has nothing at all to do with her. In fact, I'd selected her as one of my Agency titles to buy this month. Often I buy no Agency priced titles, but it's the holidays so I decided to treat myself. I used to buy Avon's (and a few other imprints) complete monthly run. It was automatic. Now I pick and choose. I scour reviews. I look at smaller publishing houses first. I consider what I have in non fiction, I watch obscure dvds.

The ebook version of Taken by Desire is priced $2 above the paper version. Not $2 above what the paper version can routinely be had for - $2 above the suggested retail price of the book. Effectively, this makes the title (in USD) over twice as expensive in a DRM restricted version than it is in a paper version. Or, you can steal it for free. I wish that you would not. I wish that you would simply join me in not reading this title, in finding another publisher to purchase from.

I am beginning to feel like the Agency authors are in an abusive relationship. I know they want me to buy their books. I want to buy their books. The editors want me to buy their books. But someone higher up than all of us has a different plan. When that someone holds you close at night and whispers that it's not him who drove us away, that he's only protecting you from the pirates, that we just didn't try hard enough? Don't believe him. What we had was real, but I won't be treated this way. You shouldn't be either. We're better than that.

Edited to add - It is my understanding that the price of this e-book has now been lowered to match the MSRP (if not the prevailing cost) of the paper book. Make your choices as you will!

4 comments:

  1. The ebook version of Taken by Desire is priced $2 above the paper version. Not $2 above what the paper version can routinely be had for - $2 above the suggested retail price of the book.

    Someone REALLY doesn't want people buying eBooks. But don't they realize eBooks are here to stay?

    I wouldn't be able to buy this book in eBook format anyway...geographical restrictions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon has lowered the price to the paperback list, haven't checked the other e-tailers yet. It makes no sense to many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi once again :)

    I bought the book! At a regular price! Big mistake!
    Have you read it? Have you read her other two books?
    Here's my review of this one and the other two:


    http://bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com/2010/12/28/a-talent-for-sin-by-lavinia-kent/

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was saving the other two to read the three together - I scanned your review but marked it to really read tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete